AppTutor educational learning apps are grade-specific learning tools built to support the Common Core State Standards Initiative (CCSSI) to help your child master elementary school mathematics. The Common Core Standards are instrumental in ensuring that every child across the country is given the tools necessary to succeed.
Common Core State Standards Initiative (CCSSI)
AppTutor Apps are designed to convey the conceptual understanding of mathematical theory promoted by the Common Core State Standards Initiative – which has been adopted as the benchmark for mathematics education in 45 out of 50 US states. Beginning in 2014 it is anticipated that all US states and territories will have adopted these Common Core Standards, in addition to many other nations worldwide. Specifically, all AppTutor apps encourage students to:
- Have a clear understanding of problems and persevere in solving them. Engage in abstract and quantitative reasoning.
- Create viable arguments.
- Construct mathematical models.
- Strategically utilize appropriate tools.
- Mind precision.
- Understand and use structure.
- Seek and utilize general methods in repeated reasoning.
What is the Common Core State Standards Initiative?
The Common Core State Standards Initiative is a federal effort to create a clearly-defined set of standards for teaching English language arts and mathematics throughout the US. The chief purpose of establishing these standards was to ensure that high school graduates are ready to enter the workforce or join a two- or four-year college program. A development committee tasked with the project also aimed at providing teachers, parents, and students with clear performance expectations. The members of the committee also worked to establish a clear connection between the Common Core and international standards as a means of increasing the compatibility of the US students in the global marketplace.
Why is the Common Core State Standards Initiative important?
We want to procure a better future for every child across the country. The Common Core State Standards are an effective means of achieving this end because they make it easier for teachers, parents, and students to work together. The universal adoption and implementation of these standards is a necessary condition for guaranteeing that the US maintains its competitive edge in the ever-changing global economy. If the standards have the expected effect, our students will become powerful players in the international business and labor markets.
By what criteria are the common core standards being developed?
The standards are being developed by the following criteria:
- Aligned with expectations of professional and college success;
- Straightforward enough to facilitate the quick understanding by parents who help their children learn;
- Uniform across states as to ensure that all students receive high-quality teaching regardless of their residence;
- Involve the content and the application of knowledge through the use of higher-order thinking skills;
- Incorporate strengths and lessons of highly-performing countries and current state standards;
- Practical enough to facilitate effective use in the classroom;
- Criteria grounded in evidence and research and established through the involvement of the NGA Center and CCSSO.
What grade levels will be included in the Common Core State Standards?
The standards were developed for the K through 12 grades. Empirical evidence on the early childhood and higher education programs was also considered during the development stage of the project.
Does the Curriculum in AppTutor Apps meet the Common Core State Standards Initiative?
Yes. AppTutor Apps were designed using the grade-specific standards that support Common Core. By going through each app’s ‘Learn-Try- Test’ Learning Cycle and attaining the Certificate of Achievement, a child has completed virtually all of the core skill set for that grade level and that subject correctly.